Thursday, July 22, 2021

A Meditative Walk

 



This morning I did a thing…so tired of the statements from the FG about Senator John McCain, I decided to take advantage of my proximity to his grave and pay my respects to this hero. He is an example of what this staunch Democrat respects in the Republican party. I will always remember that late night (or was it early morning?) when I gleefully clapped at his thumbs down, thus saving healthcare for millions. I was fortunate enough to meet Senator McCain at an embassy gathering having something to do with Vietnam. Yes, there were so many of those back when my husband was working diligently with that area of the world, it is sad I can’t recall specific details now. But I do know I was impressed that after being held captive for so long, Senator McCain was now working to bolster the economy and environment of Vietnam.  

 

While I did not vote for Senator McCain, I always respected his service. My dad, a Navy man himself, was torn in 2008 but finally voted for President Obama (yay dad!). He first ignored my pleas and arguments to vote for Barack Obama. It wasn’t until another military man, Colin Powell, endorsed President Obama that my dad declared his intentions. “If General Powell is voting for him, then that is the endorsement I need." So much for listening to your daughter! But I knew he was conflicted and had great admiration for John McCain. In fact, my dad wished he could have attended the Naval Academy himself.

 

Back to my stroll this morning. Like many who live in historic areas, I often forget to appreciate what is all around me. Walking onto the Naval Academy grounds made me immediately swell with pride, for those who served, for those who love this country enough to protect it (and yes, that means getting vaccinated, too!), and for my dad who served in and respected the Navy throughout his life.

 

The walk to the Senator’s grave was just as promised, beautiful and serene. As I sauntered over the footbridge, watching the billowing white sails on the Severn River, I thought of not just Senator McCain, but of Greg and his love of sailing and Annapolis, of my dad, so devoted to the Navy, and of all those buried in this cemetery. Taps cut through the air, as another burial was taking place. This added to the sensory experience that enveloped me. The walk almost seemed like a meditation.

 

I stood alone in front of Senator McCain’s unassuming headstone and murmured my thanks, my apologies for how the FG treated him, and my belief that history would honor him. I am not posting photos of his grave. Somehow that feels intrusive. The photos above were taken on my walk through the grounds. I encourage anyone who visits Annapolis to share in my experience of the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment