Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Unexpected Destinations

-->
Delighted to back with Sepia Saturday after a long personal drought.

The name of the town is familiar, Champion, Michigan. It is one of those towns of my childhood where what seemed like endless, long dusty car trips would result in the family pouring out of the back of a station wagon to set up a picnic. But if the town scrapes the cobwebs of my mind, the stern family etched in time, has no meaning for me.  The photograph is one of several that were once mounted in a maroon velvet album, kept in my grandmother’s basement. As a child, I loved the smell of that musty thing, and even more, adored paging through the photos, imagining those people of old. It was silly of me to never have asked my grandmother for the names of these unknown family and friends.  Now I struggle to put together the pieces. I show them to the 80 year-olds who squint and say, “Well, it could be a Millman or Richards,” and I wait for the soliloquy regarding facial features. But as I’ve continued my ancestor hunt, I find many of those supposed matches just do not fit. The child is too old for the time they spent in Vermont or the identified person did not live in the town during the year noted on the back of the photo. I sigh. And the only way to make up for my abject failure to quiz my grandmother is to write voraciously on the back of my own photos or to post them, heavily captioned, on a family website. 
The cabinet photo in question seemed to hold many clues. Champion is and was always a small town. The name of the studio, scrolled at the bottom, should have been an easy find I reasoned. But a search of the city directories, on Ancestry.com revealed no L. Winsor Studio for the available years, 1894-1917, a reasonable time frame based on the clothing worn by the females.  An Internet search indicates this photographer may have had a studio in Champion in the early 1890s but then moved westward. At least I had a date, but one that once more led me to curse the loss of those precious 1890 census records. I scoured my family tree for cousins with the requisite number of family members living in the area at the time. Coming up short, I got out my magnifying glass and studied facial features, hoping to identify family traits. Nothing worked. I returned to my tree and picked at families of families.

And then, an answer. It was that rush of joy that I had been missing since I last engaged in this exploration, so many months ago. But, as has been true with most of my genealogical investigations, the solution was not the one I had been seeking. No, I still do not know the identity of this family, lovingly saved in my grandmother’s basement. But the search of the siblings clarified a nagging question: the mystery of why my family had chosen Ishpeming, Michigan as their destination when the Ely/Vershire mining operation was beginning to fail. The Richards and Simons branches, united by the marriage of my great great grandparents in Ely, had pulled up their fragile roots in that waning mining town to journey for frigid northern Michigan. I had often wondered why the growing clan chose this spot to begin life anew. The photo search unintentionally revealed a Richards brother, long ignored by me, who had traveled directly from Gwinear, Cornwall with his wife and young son to the mines of Upper Michigan. I now had the name of that ancestor who was the impetus for the family move to “the Yoop,” the place where our roots would run strong and deep throughout the 20th century.

That brother? Matthew Richards - a coincidence my family will find amusing.

The journey we begin does not always bring us to the destination we intend.

22 comments:

  1. I think those sleeves on the woman's dress are a perfect fit for the early 1890s, say between 1891 and 1894. How frustrating that you can't find a fot for any family members, but it may yet come.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You worked so hard on this, and I am happy for you that you solved a missing piece.

    When my Grandma T. was dying of cancer, before she got too sick, we went through the albums and loose photos with her. I'm so glad that we did that now.

    Kathy M.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How frustrating that you can't find answers to who's in the photo. But it's lucky that you found another piece to your puzzle while you were searching. Isn't that what always happens?
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Every little piece of the jigsaw helps.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have traced my family back to the early 1800s but I'm afraid to say not one photo to go with it before my parent's time. To have solved a piece of your puzzle from an unidentifed photo must be very satisfying.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a striking photo. It's great that you cleared up one mystery.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an enjoyable post, that you were able to find a connection that answered a "missing link" for geography at least, proves you were a good detective!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's a very well-dressed family, that's for sure. I've never noticed a chair with wheels in photos from this period. Looks like an office chair, rather like the one I'm sitting in right now although not quite so fancy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so well-written and interesting to read. Your rush of joy describes my own feelings when I get a scrap of information about one of the relatives. There's so much satisfaction in piecing it all together.

    ReplyDelete
  10. 'maroon velvet album in grandmother's basement' - it sounds so charming! and the stories waiting to be told - source of endless wonder.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Kathy - I share your guilt regarding not asking or writing down the answers to questions. Thanks for the great suggestion of at least writing on the back of photos for the next generation or at least digitally recording to assuage the guilt.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I could feel the emotion in your post.

    I worry about the future as all my children's photos are on facebook. I "steal" some of the better ones from time to time :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree with Sharon, not too many albums hanging around the house with the younger generations. I am guilty of that too, I must get busy and label photos even thought they be in folders in my computer and perhaps print out a few interesting ones and label them too!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You've done some great detective work and written it up so well! At least you solved one mystery.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Its interesting to learn how families end up where they do, and also when going in a different detecting direction you happily found a clue. I like the steady gaze of that little boy.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's so nice to have you back with us on Sepia Saturday again Kathy. I've enjoyed this post and I admire your staying power with the magnifying glass!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yes, it's great to have you back. It was always a pleasure to read your posts, and this one is no exception. A fine old photograph, it is a shame that the formality of the poses at this time in photography seems to hide a lot of the individuality of the sitters.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I had the misfortune not to inherit a load of unknown photos - indeed the few that I have the faces are quite easily deduced.

    I wonder what the inheritor of my old photos might make of them. They have been gathered from here and there and I have no idea who they are, but am willing to give them a new life.

    If you ever try the Cornish angle for your Richards and have problems, try Wales. Richards is a fairly common Welsh name.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am still working on those few family pics and once both folders will be empty, my mother's side, and my father's, I'll have them printed in a book, with whatever info I have, for my own satisfaction. Perhaps teaching your kids to create such memories for the future would be a good sharing experience. Diaries and photo albums seem to have lost the battle to Facebook and such...
    Oh well!
    :)~
    HUGZ

    ReplyDelete
  20. I never made it up to the upper peninsula of Michigan, but I can remember my mom telling about the black bears raiding garbage cans when she and my dad stayed up there in the early 1950s while on a pipelining job in the area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jerry,
      Yes, those bears in the "Yoop" are famous. Going to the dump to watch them used to be a favorite high school destination on Saturday nights :)
      Kathy

      Delete